I started my path towards being a Clinical Psychologist in Bristol. It was there I completed my undergraduate degree and also trained to become a hypnotherapist at the Clifton Practice. Whilst this was really enjoyable in itself, it was whilst working as an Assistant Psychologist in Children Services in Weston Super-Mare that I realised that this was the career path for me. From there, I was fortunate to receive funding to train on the Clinical Psychology doctorate at Surrey University and then complete a further year in CBT on a postgraduate diploma as well as complete all aspects of EMDR training.
The training I received enables me to use a variety of therapies. However, my natural style is more towards Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). I feel these can be more collaborative and interactive than traditional counselling, and, for most can be more beneficial.
I still work face to face at Shere Surgery in Guildford, Surrey and at a small clinic in Basingstoke, Hampshire. However, the majority of my sessions are now online over video. I’ve always offered online sessions since I started my practice 10 years ago, however, the advances in video technology and the increased security now available means this is now my preferred medium.
About me personally….
Sport and food (eating it….I’m not the best cook) play a key part in my life. I can’t say I excel at any sport, but tennis and golf offer me regular exercise and lots of enjoyment! As does watching Southampton Football club – not always a fulfilling experience, but I’ve learnt to accept this (most of the time – I think my partner may argue I have not gained full acceptance yet!).
Details of my relevant qualifications are listed below:
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) Registered Clinical Psychologist
- British Psychological Society (BPS) Associate Fellow and Chartered Clinical Psychologist (AFBPsS, CPsychol)
- British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) Accredited Cognitive and Behavioural Psychotherapist
- PGDip Psychological Interventions – CBT – Pass with Distinction – University of Surrey (2011)
- BPS Accredited Clinical Doctorate Clinical Psychology – University of Surrey (2010)
- EMDR Practitioner Training – ALL Parts (Basic, Intermediate and Advanced) (2012)
- Dip Clinical Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy – Clifton Practice, Bristol.
- First Class BSc (Hons) Psychology – University of Bristol (UK)
I have also completed a large number of various training courses in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Mindfulness, Relationship issues and Attachment to name just four.